Most commonly known as the Annie Malone Children’s Home
Malone was the founder of Poro College and a pioneer manufacturer of cosmetic products. She served as President of the Board of Directors of the St. Louis Colored Orphans’ Home from 1919 to 1943. In tribute to her loyalty and dedication to the Home’s goals, it was renamed in her honor in 1946 to Annie Malone Children’s Home.
The building of the new facility, along with the Board of Directors’ emphasis on Annie Malone Children’s Home being responsive to the needs of children, laid the ground work for the Home to become and remain an important and viable social service provider in the greater St. Louis community.
In the 1950s, many of the ethnic orphanages were closed or merged with other organizations.Not so for Annie Malone. It continued to serve as a refuge for orphans and continued to provide residential placements at 2612 Goode Avenue for the next thirty years.
The Annie Malone Children & Family Service Center first opened its doors in 1888 as the St. Louis Colored Orphan’s Home. Helping St. Louis families for more than a century, the agency today has grown into a multi-service center in the community, addressing social and education needs of children and families in crisis and at-risk throughout St. Louis.
In 1886, a group of concerned women led by Sara Newton Cohron, raised community concern for the welfare of neglected and orphaned children. The first location of the St. Louis Colored Orphan’s Home was 1427 North 12th Street. In 1905, the Home moved to a site on Natural Bridge Avenue. In 1910, the first May Day Parade was held. Today, the parade has grown to be the second largest African-American parade in the country. It serves as the agency’s largest major fundraiser and includes an outstanding celebration of fundraising events in May (Community Barbecue, Soiree & Silent Auction, Gospel Concert Explosion, Parade and McDonald’s Blues Fest) for family and friends. Thanks to the generosity of Annie M. Turnbo Pope Malone, the Home moved to a permanent location in 1922 to 2612 Goode Avenue in the Historic Ville Neighborhood. In 1924, the Home became a member agency of United Way of Greater St. Louis.